Saturday, June 28, 2014

Swamp Fishing June 28, 2014

That's right. I fished at two different Mt. Hood locations in the same day, and both were radically different from one another. The first was the Oak Grove Fork of the Clackamas, an area that produced over a dozen trout. However, I also had some time to fish late in the evening at a nearby swampy meadow. Although the exact location will remain undisclosed, it is one of the few places I am able to walk to from my Government Camp cabin. The swamp is marshy and difficult to access but it culminates in a small, shallow pond that holds trout.


After trudging through skunk cabbage and other grasses through waist-deep swamp, swatting mosquitoes along the way, I reached the lake. My father and my uncle were also with me. It was around six o' clock, and fog was already beginning to roll in through the mountains.




Fish were rising and readily striking Parachute Adams flies, but it was difficult to keep most of the small Brook Trout on the hook. Light tippets were required for the crystal-clear water, and fish were frustratingly out of reach. Wading was out of the question here, and the water was too shallow for any sort of floating device. As a result, casting from shore was my only option.


After missing several strikes, there was an explosive bite and a nice fish was on the line. It had been hooked on one of the strangest patterns I've ever tied, one I never thought would produce anything other than a bleeding nose. It was the Kam's Caddis with Translucent Reflective Fish Stuff.


I should really know what that stuff is actually called by now. Anyways, the fish was eventually landed, and it turned out to be a native Cutthroat, an unexpected surprise in a pond like this.


The catch of a native Cutthroat in a small swampy lake is clear evidence of an isolated, self-sustaining population. This is why I am emphasizing that this particular fishery is protected. Although I did not disclose the location of this lake, it is likely that many know where it is nonetheless and will fish it. While I encourage this, I cannot emphasize the importance of catch-and-release, especially while using flies and artificial lures with barbless hooks. These fish are not stocked, and careless management can eradicate the fishery. We need to be the solution, not the problem.


ADDITIONAL NOTICE:

As many hippies and citizens of Government Camp know, there is a proposal to host a music festival known as "Kaleidoscope" in our town. A meeting to make a final decision took place recently, and although I do not know the answer, I can state that this cannot be allowed to happen. 


This monstrosity of a music festival took place last year in Eugene, Oregon's extremely liberal town of hippiness. The police made them leave. That's correct. Due to members and attenders of the festival sleeping and raiding the fridges of empty or unattended houses, they were expelled from the most unquestionably weird and relaxed town in Oregon. In addition, their littering trashed beautiful streets and natural areas such as parks. Eugene forced this musical disaster to pack up and get the hell out. If they couldn't tolerate the flaming effigy that is "Kaleidoscope," then there's no reason to suggest we should. As citizens of Government Camp, we need to rally against this environmental disaster and refuse to sanction any actions that may lead to this festival taking place.

Okay, I may have been overboard, but any music festival that big will be noisy, overbearing, and obnoxious. I also have a bad feeling they'll ruin the lake I talked about, which is very close to Government Camp. This will not only ruin the fishing, but the native trout stocks. That would suck.


P.S. I also do not mean to be offensive to Eugene. I have been there many times; t is a very nice town and I was just trying to make the point that Kaleidoscope is evil and should be sent to the fiery inferno from which it came.

P.P.S. I am also not trying to be offensive towards the proprietors of Kaleidoscope; I am sure that it is a trustworthy organization that should not be judged by some of the people who attend it.

Thank You.



No comments:

Post a Comment