Sunday, November 3, 2013

Fishing the Oak Grove Stream October

After a ridiculously long swig of caffeine, me and Alex head in the car and drive off down the mountain to the Fork, speeding past all the trees until we reach the dam, our first spot.. I head down and immediately go down to “Hole Reliable”, the large hole that has always had fish in it. I balance myself precariously on a log, and prepare to cast. I make a cast in the middle, and seconds later my strike indicator dips under, and a fish is on. It’s quite a fight, the clear fast flowing streams really turn the fish into street punks, and I fight it against the current. It’s funny, although these fish are too small to break my 6X tippet, I still play it like a tuna on sewing thread, and soon enough, I lift a nice cutthroat into the air, about seven inches. I can’t see Alex, so I announce as loudly as I can to the forest that I caught a fish, and then it squirms from my hands and swims away. I place a second cast in the same spot, and the indicator dips under, announcing another fish. I soon land the slightly smaller cutthroat, about five inches, and then release it. A couple more missed strikes, and I head to the car to fish some more downstream, and soon enough, we stop at a visitor stop, which is more high-gradient than the rest of the stream. I explore a bit, making some casts with no fish, then I move on. Alex complains that he fished a giant hole with no fish, when I remind him that generally when fishing a giant hole, one doesn’t stand in the middle of it. We then move to another section, a stretch behind the hydroelectric power plant that has always been the producer of the best fish.  In order to reach the stretch, bushwhacking is required, and this time I fail so badly I end up behind the stretch and need to climb over logs to get back (this is why I use the loosest waders I can find, the tight ones stiffen up) and get right in front of Alex, who went the easy way and has been happily fishing the hole for several minutes, making cast after cast while I have been untangling my line from alders and ponderosa pines. Covered in dirt, I unhook my fly from the cork, make one cast…and the strike indicator goes down about three feet. I don’t even need to set the hook, as I have a large (for the stream) trout on, shaking its head and fighting like mad. The rod’s in a perfect U shape, and for several minutes I fight the trout to a standstill, when I grab it around its body and struggle to keep in still for a picture while dad struggles to get the iphone out to snap a picture of the assumed eleven inch cutthroat, which by this point has lost all of its parr markings, a sign of maturity.


 Unfortunately, for the picture, I make the mistake of holding the trout close to my body, which makes it look miniscule in the photo. I release the fish and move on to a spot about five feet from the end of a log that gradually descends into the water. I make a weak cast about three feet away, and the strike indicator digs down into the water. Man, nothing gets your adrenaline pumping like a strike indicator suddenly going down. Another cutthroat. I unhook and release it, then get another fish on the next cast. The next six casts each produce cutthroat ranging from four inches to eleven inches, and I easily go seven for eight, with the eight being a trout that shed the hook. Eventually, lockjaw sets in and the trout refuse to bite (all this time dad has been tying on a fly), and by this point Alex is in the next hole upstream. I expertly navigate around him to the tail of the hole, and begin casting my nymph over his dry fly. After a few casts and a few tangles, he gives up and heads upstream, and I take the entire hole to myself (why do you think there are never any other fishermen in this river?). The funniest part is, as soon as he leaves the hole, I set my hook into another cutthroat, which makes ten (five is a good day), and I release the little trout into the deep hole. I make a few more casts, and then get into number eleven, which looks so similar to number ten that it might be the same fish, but common sense dictates. I move upstream to the “epic spot” and climb on a log and, just for fun, fish from up there being right on top of my strike indicator, and I have fun until the strike indicator dips and I come to the sudden realization of my being about five feet above the water and about to land a cutthroat. I raise my rod in the air, bringing the trout, when the hook rips out and the fish falls in the water. Ouch, although I see it swim away fine. The fishing’s done for the day, and I reflect on the numerous trout landed that day. I inhale deeply. This river has always smelt the sweetest; I feel like I belong here in this river, the trees, the clear water, the fish, the wildlife, the partially broken vodka bottle I nearly stepped on, everything makes me love this river, even beyond the fantastic fishing this place has to offer.



No comments:

Post a Comment