Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Fishing with My Cousin

My birthday was not too long ago, so to celebrate the occasion, I went fishing with my younger cousin, Maggie, on a private lake. I don't want the slightest risk of getting skunked on my birthday, so I went somewhere I knew I could have a reasonable time teaching my cousin how to fish. We baited up with grubs and I told her to slowly spin hers along the bottom. Of course, I forgot my terminology here. I actually learned to fish from British fishing books, and they describe "spinning" as working in a lure. Essentially, they refer to the "spinning" action of the reel as you work your lure in. A minute later, I glanced over at Maggie spinning her rod tip around, and I slapped my forehead. I then told her to just reel it in slowly.

Not after long, her rod bucked over and she was into a nice little rainbow trout, around eight inches long. Before long, I was able to net it, and a picture was taken with her fish.


Not sure what I was doing with my mouth at the time, but we kept the trout and were soon off to do some more fishing. A minute later, I saw my bright white grub disappear, and I set the hook into another nice fish. It was around eleven inches long, and great fun on light tackle.


We continued across the small lake, catching tons of trout. This is the kind of place first timers and kids go to hook gobs of fish, and I still go here to take friends and relatives who have never gone before. As we continued along, Maggie caught another nice trout. I decided to look like a redneck rocky mountain guide in this one. Hopefully I won't make any readers angry with that reference.



No comments:

Post a Comment